Don't Ignore These Warning Signs of a Concussion
Concussions can occur when someone is hit in the head, falls, or is in a car accident. Though not necessarily life-threatening, concussions can cause significant and long-lasting problems when not treated by a trusted healthcare professional.
The Wellness Institute of Dallas offers highly effective, multi-disciplinary concussion treatment programs for patients near Highland Park and University Park. Call now if you suffer from one or more of the below symptoms. Our specialists have extensive experience in the diagnosis and management of concussions.
What activities cause a concussion?
Concussions range from mild to severe based on the cause of the head injury. Common causes include:
- Falling down
- Hitting your head on something hard
- Getting hit in the head with a hard object (such as a ball)
- Sports-related activities
- Being in a car accident
Concussions still occur even when there are no outward signs of an injury. This means some people won't realize they have head trauma until symptoms appear.
What are the signs of a concussion?
The Wellness Institute of Dallas is here to help if you or someone you know experience any of the following concussion symptoms:
- Headaches: This includes a pounding or throbbing sensation that doesn't go away.
- Dizziness: Dizziness or lightheadedness can make it challenging to walk.
- Confusion: You may have trouble answering questions or remembering what happened.
- Blurred or double vision: Vision problems make it hard to read or focus on objects.
- Nausea: It is possible to feel sick to your stomach or throw up after a concussion.
- Slurred speech: You may have trouble saying the right words or keeping your thoughts together.
- A decline in cognitive functions: This includes problems with concentration, focus, or attention.
Emergency concussion symptoms involve loss of consciousness, external bleeding, trouble breathing, or a taste of metal in the mouth. Go to a nearby emergency room immediately if a head injury causes any of these issues in Highland Park or University Park.
What happens during a concussion evaluation
The Wellness Institute of Dallas begins concussion evaluations with standard MRI and CT scans to thoroughly assess the brain and/or spinal cord. We also offer specialized testing that's not available at many other facilities. Our top tools allow us to accurately diagnose head trauma and create custom concussion treatment plans.
Many cases require rest and a gradual return to activity. Patients must monitor their symptoms carefully and report any changes to their providers. Our recommendations may include:
- Omega 3 fatty acids: Research has shown that high doses of omega-3s can improve concussion symptoms.
- Eating well: Proteins and healthy fats are important for concussion recovery. Try to restrict carbs whenever possible.
- Drink water: Drink water with electrolytes to stay hydrated and encourage natural healing. Watch out for unnecessary sugars.
- Participate in light activities: Slowly begin participating in stimulating activities. Listen to your body and stop if concussion symptoms worsen.
- Sleep: Getting enough sleep is crucial for healing, especially in the first 72 hours after a concussion.
Find treatment options after a concussion
A concussion is a serious head injury that can have long-lasting effects. Our specialists at The Wellness Institute of Dallas are here to help you or your loved one recover as safely as possible. For more information about our concussion treatment program, or to schedule an appointment, please contact us. If you live near Highland Park or University Park, we can help you on the road to recovery.