Which DO YOU HAVE?
It is incredibly important to differentiate your symptoms between 3 major issues: Vertigo, Dizziness, and lightheadedness. Most commonly people will have one but there is a possibility you can have multiple. Differentiating is the first step in finding the treatment that works best (Hint: it is NOT usually medications)
- VERTIGO - Traditionally a rotational experience where the sufferer feels like they are moving (Egocentric vertigo)or the world is moving (Geocentric vertigo). People clinically report feeling like they are on marry-go-round, "in a spin cycle", or "doing cartwheels".
- Dizzy - Dizziness is best described and often reported by patients as a feeling of swimming, being on a boat, floating sensation, or walking on a waterbed. Some variations are felt only in the head and others are a whole body experience.
- Lightheaded - This is the most common symptom to accompany the other 2 because the way our body controls blood flow is intimately related to our perceptions of where we are in space. Think hanging upside-down on the monkey bars. Going from sitting to standing, laying down to sitting/standing is the most common time to get lightheaded. This is the feeling of about to pass out, vision gets blurry, maybe hearing sounds muffled or even ringing in the ears (tinnitus) occurs. There is typically a drastic increase in heart rate to make up for the plummeting blood pressure that can feel erratic (fibrillations). You may notice it gets worse if you haven't eaten in awhile. These are all part of a larger issue called Dysautonomia, which means a dysfunction in automatic processes controlled by the brain (blood pressure, heart rate, gastrointestinal function, sweat glands, etc).
Once you've discussed and properly diagnosed which one(s) you have, there are several types of therapies that are highly effective and provided at The Wellness Institute of Dallas. Some of these may include:
- Gyrostim therapy
- Vestibular therapy
- Visual/eye movement based therapies
- Head-eye-vestibular motion (HEVM) therapy
- Cervical (Neck) and upper cervical soft tissue therapy including dry needling, myofascial release, cervical and occipital adjustments, chiropractic,etc.
- Proprioceptive retraining
- Neuromuscular reeducation
- Whole-body vibration
- Trigeminal nerve stimulation
- Heart-rate variability (HRV) training
- Vagal nerve activation
- Nutritional counseling
- Functional medicine when chemically, toxin, or physiologically induced
- IV therapy (dehyration often exaccerbates ALL vertigo, dizziness, and lightheadedness)
- Laser therapy
"We travel all the way from west of Fort Worth to go to the Wellness Institute of Dallas. Our whole family has received treatment there for several personal complaints and we always consider them because we keep getting fantastic results. We get regular chiropractic care and we are also getting some neurological therapy, We appreciate Dr. Nutt and all the staff at their facility. They treat us for overall health, and treat us individually and appropriately! I have recommended this practice to friends and coworkers, and I am doing the same for you too. You will probably find, as we do that you will always come away with just the treatment you need and a little good health practical knowledge with every visit."- D.H. / Google / Apr 19, 2020
"Great place to go for chiropractic and functional medicine."- R.G. / Google / May 17, 2023
"Dr. Nutt and the team are amazing! I have never had a doctor so determined to help me. I have seen multiple different doctors for my issues and he is by far the most knowledgeable and eager to get me feeling better. Thank you!"- M.H. / Google / Feb 13, 2022
"Great experience!"- J.S. / Google / Jan 27, 2022
"Incredibly impressed with the level of service and knowledge of Dr. Nutt."- S.S. / Google / Jul 06, 2021
What Are the SYMPTOMS and CAUSES of Vertigo and Dizziness?
Vertigo and dizziness can have many different causes. To determine the root cause of your dizzy spells, our team can perform a full evaluation of your health to find out if you're dehydrated, suffering from migraines, or have an underlying disease contributing to your vertigo or dizziness. Some symptoms individuals with vertigo or dizziness frequently experience include:
- Poor balance
GET RELIEF FROM VERTIGO and Dizziness
If you start to notice yourself feeling disoriented, fatigued, or lightheaded, getting help from a professional will be key to improving your quality of life. Reach out to our team at The Wellness Institute of Dallas to find out how we help patients with vertigo or dizziness resolve their symptoms and restore their lives.
Can Adrenal Fatigue Cause Vertigo?
Adrenal fatigue and vertigo may cause problems that impact your day-to-day life. Learn about our treatment plans and how these issues may be related.Read
Can Omega-3 Fatty Acids Help with Concussion Recovery?
What do omega-3 fatty acids do for your brain, and why are they important after sustaining a concussion? Find the answers here.Read